   Re: [xml-dev] RE: Updates in XQuery 1.0 & the future of the XML Activity

This comes up every time we release specs. It's clear that the community
wants updates, and it is clear that vendors will be implementing updates.
It's even clear that vendors seem to be implementing very similar update
languages, based on a common proposal.

Even though proposals exist, doing a thorough review and achieving
consensus on an update proposal takes time, which would certainly delay
XQuery 1.0, and I believe would almost certainly mean that XQuery 1.0 would
not be released this year. (This is my opinion only, not an official
Working Group statement).

In practice, we would have to review every part of the update proposal in
detail, and changes would be made. I can't imagine this taking less than 6
months. Since the charter for XQuery 1.0 does not require updates, I think
it makes sense to do this in a separate time frame from the XQuery 1.0 spec
itself. On the other hand, waiting another 2-3 years after XQuery 1.0 is
released would be a very bad idea indeed.

Here some of the things we want to balance:

1. Releasing an update spec that is not thoroughly reviewed and implemented
is bad, and would haunt us for a long time to come.
2. Letting one vendor define how updates are done for the entire industry
is also bad, so having some kind of proposal in the public view is probably
important.
3. The telcons and face to faces for XML Query are already chock full,
there just isn't much room for discussing new features, we are too busy
making sure what we already have is well defined.

Jonathan