   RE: [xml-dev] SOAP and the Web

That's why I refer to it as a multiplier of choices.
Children are also wealth, good health is wealth,
those things which one chooses that multiply choices
are wealth.  Power is wealth.  To have power over karma,
dharma is chosen to limit choices to right choices.
This is the understanding of interdependent effect.

Consider that in a survey taken, 63% of American
women fantasize about George Bush, Jr.  Power is a
multiplier of choice.  It says nothing about good
taste.  The principle of rationality is weak precisely
because people will often choose what pleases them
over what is otherwise, the greatest good.  Remember
Lawrence's comment to the Arabian tribal leader about
why that leader would join the British cause.  Pleasure
is the wildcard of human choice.

What does this have to do with SOAP and the Web?
It means that the horse chooses.  A horse may not
be aware of the need for the water.  The rider
therefore, must be aware and multiply the opportunities
to choose rightly.  Providing SOAP as a specification
multiplies the choices the service providers may
offer, but requires the customer to choose wisely.

REST warranties that these choices will be in accordance
with known and predictable behaviors.  SOAP providers
have to do that independently, not interdependently.
The customer (the rider) must choose wisely and
that means with full and perfect information to
avoid a possible third degree path dependent failure.
The service provider must provide that information
or be the one who pays the liquidated damages.

Horses loathe to drink downstream from bears.

len

From: John Cowan [mailto:jcowan@reutershealth.com]

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" scripsit:

> The future of civilization depends on a right understanding
> of the interdependent relationships of duty, wealth, and pleasure.

I think artha = worldly power, not just wealth; of course wealth often
brings power too.