   RE: [xml-dev] SOAP and the Web

> Andrew Dubinsky wrote:

> > Does this criteria imply that all REST component methods
> must define
> > standardized API's prior to deployment?
>
> There is no need to define them. Except for the rare case
> where you have an extremely unique need, you use the methods
> built into the REST-aware protocol you are using. Today that is HTTP.

<snip>...</snip>

I was not talking about the interface in the sense of protocol. That is
intrinsic to the protocol handler, hopefully far below the application
developer's view. In talking about interfaces, I meant to examine the
issue in a COM interface sense. Much of the problems I see with both
SOAP and REST are the lack of a guaranteed, versioned interface contract
between developer and service consumer. Methods and their parameters
change over time. Can REST create a strongly interfaced version system
if the entire access method resides in the URI? Is that part of the
specification? Should it be?

Sincerely,
Andrew Dubinsky