   Re: [xml-dev] SOAP and the Web

Hi Andrew,

Andrew said:
> I was not talking about the interface in the sense of protocol. That is
> intrinsic to the protocol handler, hopefully far below the application
> developer's view. In talking about interfaces, I meant to examine the
> issue in a COM interface sense. Much of the problems I see with both
> SOAP and REST are the lack of a guaranteed, versioned interface contract
> between developer and service consumer. Methods and their parameters
> change over time. Can REST create a strongly interfaced version system
> if the entire access method resides in the URI? Is that part of the
> specification? Should it be?

Didier replies:
You have touched one of the weakest points for both architecture. REST has
no notion of versioning. More particularly versioning of the URI. SOAP
neither. Since versioning was part of DCOM I guess that one of SOAP's parent
will think to include that feature in a later version of SOAP.

cheers
Didier PH Martin