   Re: [xml-dev] SOAP and the Web

[Francis Norton]

> Paul Prescod wrote:
> >  5. the server can easily serve these as either dynamic OR static
> >documents. The performance advantages to the latter should be obvious.
> >
> Yes, this is a good argument for having a GET interface to Web Services,
> but I'm still not certain whether it is possible to model query
> parameters, for those cases where we admit they are needed, as
> representations of resources.

It is very similar to an SQL view.  A view is a particular subset of a
database (possibly enhanced with calculations based on the data).  There is
usually no actual table corresponding to the view, but still the view
represents the state of the database.  If the database is the resource, and
you request a view by name, along with any parameters the view calls for,
you get back a representation of the resource - namely, a snapshot of the
view, which is in turn a partial snapshot of the database.  That's a
representation of the database.

Note, though, that the GET request (whether or not you call it a "query") is
not a representation of a resource.  It is rather a specification of the
specific representation you wish to receive, modulo media specifications,
etc, in the headers.

Cheers,

Tom P