   Re: [xml-dev] Who'e expecting to use XQuery? (was Re: [xml-dev] Yet anot

> 5/2/2002 11:44:28 PM, Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
> wrote:
>

> > No offence whatsoever to you or the XML Query group,
> > but I don't expect > to be using XQuery very much, so XQuery
> > integration is the least of my concerns for an XML update
> > language.
>
> Why don't you expect to be using XQuery much?  Because of some
> limitation of the XQuery language?  Because you already have the
> tools you need in XPath, SAX/DOM, and/or XSLT?  Because of the
> impedence mismatch between Yet Another Progrqamming Language and the
> one you already use?

I am a very poor sample member for any survey (probably on any topic), but I don't expect to use XQuery much because of its complexity and its fixation with strong typing (same reasons I don't expect to be using XSDL much).  Yes, XPath does much of what I need, but actually I have another weapon for large-scale query.

I use 4Suite as XML repository.  On insert/modify/delete, I reflect significant "fields" into XML's RDF DBMS.  4Suite makes it pretty easy to automate and manage this process.  Usually, in this way I can take care of all things likely to be addressed in structured form.  Then I just use 4Suite's RDF query capability for such addressing.  I can always fall back to full-text searching for addressing the XML without regard to structure.

I've done this often enough in practice to be very comfortable with its utility and reasonably comfortable with its performance.

--
Uche Ogbuji                           Fourthought, Inc.
uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com           http://fourthought.com