   Re: [xml-dev] Yet another plea for XUpdate (was New XSLT, XPath, and XQ

--- Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com> wrote:
> I don't find this verbosity any more troubling than
> the same property in XSLT.  Verbosity is not much of
> a consideration for me in XML Update.
>
> I'll tell you one reason why I prefer XUpdate's
> insiatence on XML syntax: it makes implementation a
> breeze.  Seriously.  4Suite's XUpdate is entirely
> implemented in 500 lines of Python and took about a
> day to complete.  There is *no* way on earth that I
> could implement the second syntax you put forth so
> easily.
>
> Dare's syntax looks just as hairy to implement.

This is why there is an API and a language
specification. The parser is written and maintained
once (currently in Java but hopefully once an ANTLR
version hits .NET it will be ported and thus support
multiple languages) while conformant implementations
simply implement the underlying API and get not only a
decent API for interacting with the XML repository but
get SiXDML support for free.

This is how my friend plans to implement the Xindice
version.

> > Integration with the rest of XQuery gives you one
> other important
> > advantage: type safety. That really matters for
> updates.
>
> Well, as you know, I think the conceit of "type
> safety", as it is conventionally used in W3C XML
> specifications, is lifted without much thought from
> the blinkered models of typing in relational and
> object theory.  This makes it, IMO, a titanic waste
> of productivity.
>
> I certainly don't see how typing matters so much for
> updates.  What matters is schema consistency, which
> may or may not involve data typing considerations.

Hear, hear!!!

=====
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #93
If I decide to hold a double execution of the hero and an underling who failed or betrayed me, I will see to it that the hero is scheduled to go first.