   Re: [xml-dev] Re: white space transformations (was xinclude)

Michael Kay wrote:
> 2 XML source documents: 541 + 55 Kb
> 3 stylesheet modules: 22 + 2 + 12 Kb
> 1 HTML output file: 746 Kb
>
> I'm actually mildly surprised how small the expansion factor is.

That's not bad, but surely it's relatively efficient due to the similarity
between the XML source, which consists largely of paragraphs of text, and the
desired output, which is not much more than a copy of the source with some
markup swapped.

I tend to see projects that deal with small data sources used to produce
fairly small output, but being produced by very long stylesheets that need
to do complex interpretations of that data.

David Carlisle wrote:
> > Client-side DocBook, anyone?
>
> Presumably that is why OASIS have just gone to the trouble to release
> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/docbook/xml/simple

Thanks for that URL. Interesting version numbering they've got there.
Apparently 1.0b2 is current and 4.1.2.5 is old.

Anyway, that's my point. They are constructively engineering a workaround,
rather than griping that dialup networks are holding back the growth of the
web.

   - Mike
  mike j. brown                   |  xml/xslt: http://skew.org/xml/
  denver/boulder, colorado, usa   |  resume: http://skew.org/~mike/resume/