   RE: [xml-dev] Semantics was Re: [xml-dev] XQuery types ...

At 01:10 PM 5/5/2002 -0700, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> > As I've said, I see more in common between RELAXNG and XQuery
> > semantics than XML Schema, but perhaps I'm the only person to
> > think this, so be it.
>
>The XQuery type system is based on W3C XML Schema. To claim otherwise
>implies you haven't read the document. Besides the fact that it says so
>explicitly[0], in section 3 entitled 'The XQuery Type System' where it
>states
>
>"The XQuery type system is based on XML Schema. XML Schema defines a
>notion of validation for XML documents."

The Formal Semantics is all about structural subsumption, not about
validation. In general, it tries to define structural subsumption so that
when it looks at a query expression and a schema, the conclusions it draws
would be compatible with the conclusions a schema processor would make when
validating instances from the universe of documents the schema defines.

The currently published Formal Semantics is structural. If you look at the
current XQuery document, you will see that it has now been much more
closely aligned with XML Schema, and the Formal Semantics is out of sync -
it describes the December draft.

Jonathan