   RE: [xml-dev] XPath 1.5? (was RE: [xml-dev] typing and markup)

Just for discussion, here are two *hypothetical*
database systems with a listing of corresponding
datatypes.  (no they are real but let's not get
into the vendors).   Both of these can issue and
accept XML.   Without a way to spec datatypes,
just how good are my chances that the db will
handle the data not as I see fit, but such that
regardless of the db, I or anyone that uses the
XML, will get the same results.

Doesn't this become an issue for anyone who
tries to spec a common XML document type
for say, ebXML?  Are elements and attribute
names sufficient?  Today, we have to write
a lot of code to handle this.  I don't think
that is a good solution for interop.

len

Fixed Length String

System 1:  CHAR(n)- limit 2KB
System 2:  CHAR(n), CHARACTER(n)- limit 255 (6.5)- limit 8KB (7.0)

Variable Length String

System 1:  VARCHAR2(n), VARCHAR(n)- limit 4KB in a column- limit 32KB in a variable- VARCHAR is obsolete
System 2:  VARCHAR(n), CHAR VARYING(n), CHARACTER VARYING(n)- limit 255 (6.5)- limit 8KB (7.0)

Integer

System 1:  INTEGER, INTEGER(n), SMALLINT
System 2:  INTEGER (4 bytes), INT (4 bytes), SMALLINT (2 bytes), TINYINT (1 byte), BIT (1 bit)

Fixed Point

System 1:  NUMBER, NUMBER(n), NUMBER(n,d),FLOAT, FLOAT(n), FLOAT(n,d)
System 2:  NUMERIC, NUMERIC(n), NUMERIC(n,d),DECIMAL, DECIMAL(n), DECIMAL(n,d),DEC, DEC(n), DEC(n,d),MONEY, SMALLMONEY

Floating Point

System 1:  DECIMAL
System 2:  FLOAT, FLOAT(n), DOUBLE PRECISION, REAL,

Date

System 1:  DATE
System 2:  DATETIME, SMALLDATETIME, TIMESTAMP- TIMESTAMP auto-updated

Binary

System 1:  RAW(n)- limit 255 bytes
System 2:  BINARY(n), VARBINARY(n), BINARY VARYING(n)- limit 255 (6.5)- limit 8KB (7.0)

Large String

System 1:  LONG, LONG VARCHAR- limit 2GB- limit one per table rowCLOB- limit 4GB
System 2:  TEXT- limit 2GB

Large Binary

System 1:  LONG RAW- limit 2GB- limit one per table rowBLOB- limit 4GB
System 2:  IMAGE- limit 2GB

Multi-byte chars

System 1:  NCHAR(n)NVARCHAR(n)NCLOB- same limits as CHAR, VARCHAR, CLOB
System 2:  NCHAR(n), NATIONAL CHAR(n), NATIONAL CHARACTER(n)NVARCHAR(n), NATIONAL CHAR VARYING(n), NATIONAL CHARACTER VARYING(n)NTEXT, NATIONAL TEXT- same limits as CHAR, VARCHAR, TEXT

Row Identifier

System 1:  implicit ROWID column
System 2:  (use an IDENTITY column)

Secure OS Label

System 1:  MLSLABEL, RAW MLSLABEL
System 2:  <not supported>

128-bit Unique Number(UUID, GUID)

System 1:  <not supported>
System 2:  UNIQUEIDENTIFIER (version 7.0 only)

From: Jonathan Robie [mailto:jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com]

I don't know how to design a language that will avoid any possible
philosophical or aesthetic objections on XML-Dev. I'm an engineer, not a
deity. But if you give me a concrete problem to solve, I think we have a
Working Group that might be able to solve it.