   Re: [xml-dev] XPath 1.5? (was RE: [xml-dev] typing and markup)

[Jonathan Robie]
To: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@comcast.net>; <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] XPath 1.5? (was RE: [xml-dev] typing and markup)

> In fact, datatypes are optional in XML schema, static typing will probably
> be optional in XQuery (there is a note in the XQuery document to that
> effect), and the operators of XQuery and XPath are all defined for untyped
> data as well as for typed data. I think that we have put a *lot* of work
> into making sure that our type system scales to typed data, untyped data,
> and mixtures of the two.

Yup, I've been clear about this, and I appreciate the work that has gone
into it, especially since I personally anticipate using XQuery mainly for
schema-less data.  I was addressing remarks in some posts to the effect that
the extra machinery to handle PSVI and types would make processors bloated
and slow.  If that were correct, it might be useful to have that machinery
in an optional layer.  If it's not correct, there's no such issue.

Tom P