   Re: [xml-dev] XPath 1.5? (was RE: [xml-dev] typing and markup)

[Ian Fitchet]

>  From which follows, what does 7/5/2002 mean to you?  Either we share
>  some (date) context that it means 7th of May or it means July 5th.
>  It doesn't matter how you represent it so long as we both know how to
>  interpret it.

Yes, but who is "we"?  If I'm American and you are French, we may have
frequent discrepancies.  More to the point, if one or both of us is a
computer, how will it know how to interpret it?  Well, you say, the
programmer knows.  And if we want to have a variety of software agents doing
the interpretation?  How do they know?

Cheers,

Tom P