   Re: [xml-dev] XPath 1.5? (was RE: [xml-dev] typing and markup)

[Dare Obasanjo]

> No one fully implements SQL92, SQL99 may as well be a
> myth for all RDBMS vendors care about.

Yes, and an important part of that is a sad and little known tale, which I
got from the secretary of the ANSI SQL subcommittee.

It seems that several years ago (I think around 1996 or so, if I remember
right) there was one influential manager at NIST who was against the idea
that the Government should supply conformance standards and conformance
testing for SQL databases.  He was able to completely stop and defund
conformance testing.

After that  the SQL implementations started to get a lot less interoperable.
It costs the government a lot more (it's been estimated) than it saved by
stopping the conformance testing.

Cheers,

Tom P