   Re: [xml-dev] OT: Static/dynamic typing

[Paul Prescod]
> I think it is pretty well understood that for programming in the small,
> dynamic type checking wins. I think it will be another five or ten years
> before we have a clear answer about programming in the large. We need
> more programmers to move back and forth between the two types of
> developments, working on very large programs, and report their findings.
> Current anecdotal evidence goes both ways: some people claim that
> dynamic type checking helps in the large and others claim it hurts.

More anecdotal evidence ...

I was at a Python meeting a few years ago, and both Guido (Mr. Python) and
Jim Fulton (Zope) were there. Several people said it was pretty hard to
develop systems with Python larger than around 50k lines of code, and that
was related to the lack of static typing.  I remember Guido assenting to
that.  Of course, you get a lot of capability for the 50k LOC.

As I recall, Jim Fulton said he didn't have any such trouble with 80k LOC
Python systems (Zope).

Cheers,

Tom P