From: Mike Brown [mailto:mike@skew.org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 6:44 PM
To: Cutler, Dan
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Multibyte output

Cutler, Dan wrote:
> I am getting really strange output from this XSL transform.
>
> The output  *looks* perfect - however, each character looks as though it
was
> prodced in UTF-16 (each char is represented in two byes with a leading 00
> byte).  Also, the files begins with a char 127 and char 126???

That's also part of UTF-16. It's the BOM (Byte Order Mark), an indicator of
whether the remaining byte pairs are low-byte first (little-endian) or
high-byte first (big-endian). That is, if it were FE FF instead of FF FE,
the
00's would be trailing, not leading.

> I explicitly set the encoding to UTF-8 but it still doesn't work.

If you're getting UTF-16 even when you specified UTF-8, I suspect you're
using MSXML (well, the other clue was your xml-stylesheet p.i.) and caching
your output in strings, which on Win32 are always UTF-16 encoded. I'm no
expert on this subject, but it comes up a lot. See if the message at

 http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200108/msg00541.html

helps.

   - Mike
  mike j. brown                   |  xml/xslt: http://skew.org/xml/