   Re: [xml-dev] Multibyte output

[Cutler, Dan]

> Thanks Mike and Michael!
>
> I am using MSXML and XML spy.  I tried setting the encoding type in two
> different ways.
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="GB2312"?>
>
> and
>
> <xsl:output media-type="text" encoding="GB2312" indent="no"/>
>
> Neither of these worked.  Is there anything else I should try?  How can I
> get XML Spy to use "byte" output methods instead of "string"?
>
> Could I perhaps create another xsl that would convert UTF-16 to UTF-8?
>
> Perhaps I could/should use a different XSLT?

Why don't you

1) Run the transformation from the command line using, say, Saxon, and
2) Try to get Spy to use Saxon or Xalan and see if that works as expected
( I believe that Spy can be induced to use other xslt processors).

You may still have the change the stylesheet, but you may at least have
settled that the problem lies in how msxml is used inside Spy.

Cheers,

Tom P