   Re: [xml-dev] RE: working with text (was RE: [xml-dev] XPath1.5? )

Hi Jonathan.

Jonathan Robie wrote:

> I think that you are saying that XML, as defined by the current XML
> specifications, should not be confused with XML. I find that confusing.

Simon will undoubtedly give you a reasoned and (to me) persuasive response,
but since you put your finger on the precise point of my greatest
disagreement with others in the XML world, may I jump in here to say:

Yes, XML as defined by the current (and evolving) specifications has
effectively abandoned the two characteristics which originally brought me
to it:  definition by syntax and simple well-formedness. The first puts the
'content' and the markup metadata (in XML, there is no other kind) on the
same level--text which a particular processor may handle in its own
particularly appropriate way. The second compels instance-first (rather
than schema-first or any other abstraction first) resolution of a marked-up
text.

Respectfully,

Walter Perry