   RE: [xml-dev] PSVI formalization

Simon,

Cool, I was about to respond to your other post, but this is a much clearer
formulation of the issue. Your initial premise is exactly right: what gets
developers excited about XML is the prospect of schema-enabling it.
Certainly that's true for me (your humble PSVI poster boy), and you're also
right that I don't like CDATA, NOTATIONs and the like.

I think where you are missing the boat is the assertion that somehow there
could be some alternative representation of the PSVI that wouldn't be XML
but would satisfy all the gearheads out there. Frankly this is a crazy idea.
It took decades for something like XML to appear, and it's a huge boon. We
are developing software right now that uses XML along with schema (having
created our own version of the PSVI two years ago), and we also use XML
parsers, XML editors, XPath, XSLT and a whole slew of other XML technologies
and tools. Why on earth would we reinvent the wheel when XML works for us!?
Just to preserve the "purity" of the language for the benefit of some markup
Luddites?

Someone on XML-Dev recently hit the nail on the head when they talked about
the N^N complexity of XML integration. The only solution is to have commonly
agreed-upon semantics for the documents, as someone else pointed out. The
most basic semantics relating to structural and datatyping constraints are
contained in a schema, and already make a lot of generic processing
possible. Without this, you really can't do anything useful with an XML
document without writing specific code, and the whole XML-on-the-web vision
falls apart.

I simply can't get away from the suspicion that your objection lies more in
the specific instantiation of XML Schema, PSVI, XPath, XQuery, etc. rather
than the underlying concepts. If you're such as schema skeptic, why did you
waste all of that time with DDML? The idea of well-formed vs. valid
documents has been around since the genesis of XML, and I don't remember
anyone getting upset about it until we started being faced with an array of
200-page specs that no one can understand. I would submit that:

1) You are upset to see a 35-page spec turn into a 160-page spec with
assorted dependencies in other huge specs (XPath), and this is
understandable. The notion of strong typing in XPath doesn't seem so
horrible to me, but the bloat of the spec does. In other words, the W3C is
increasingly unable to produce simple specs.

2) You are upset because it is harder and harder to divorce well-formed
documents from valid documents. In other words, the W3C is increasingly
unable to produce layered specs.

I can't imagine an objection to the notion that XML can be associated with a
schema, and when it is it becomes a valid document and the behavior of
certain associated specs is extended accordingly. For example, XPath can do
design-time type checking. If there is no schema, the document is
well-formed and this "baggage" is ignored.

Maybe you are being purposely provocative (I can relate, lord knows), but
the idea that XML+schema is somehow no longer in the spirit of XML is
absurd.

Matt