   Re: [xml-dev] XPath 1.5? (was RE: [xml-dev] typing and markup)

At 06:31 PM 5/9/2002 +0100, Jeni Tennison wrote:
> > At least some schema validators do make the PSVI information
> > available (via regrettably proprietary interfaces), so I don't see
> > why this information can't be exploited. Again, it might make more
> > sense to use a separate "lint-and-optimizing-rewrite" tool to check
> > and optimize a stylesheet rather than do this every time a
> > stylesheet is executed.
>
>I (or the XQuery Semantics WD) might be behind the times, but the
>current WD indicates that "XML Schema is based on named typing, while
>the XQuery type system is based on structural typing." The definition
>of a "subtype" in the XQuery Semantics WD is not the same as a
>"derived type" in XML Schema. That's why I say that implementers need
>to implement this validation themselves rather than reuse the code of
>XML Schema validators

Actually, our issues list is significantly behind the document itself, a
victim of our rush to publication. The current XQuery specification has
incorporated the "Named Typing Proposal", which has largely eliminated
these discrepancies. We're still working out a few bumps and wrinkles.

Jonathan