   Stopping the SAX parser

Title: Stopping the SAX parser

One of the most basic facilities of SAX parsers, I'd expect it to allow the parse process to stop and do it's clean up, etc... and proceed with a program.  Parsing large docs, once you get the info you need, it's a total waste of resources for it to keep parsing the document.

I can seem to find in docs or other groups any information on how that would be accomplished.  I mean, yes in some languages you can I guess throw an exception and the gargabe collection routine will clean stuff up as needed later.  But I'm worried about C/C++ and say Perl/XS combination, where I can kill the parser and catch the exception and continue with my program, but the memory will never be cleaned up?

Is there a way to stop the parser and envoke it's clean up routine?

Thanks.

Ilya