   Re: [xml-dev] The vision for XPath 2.0

In a message dated 10/05/02 16:37:18 GMT Daylight Time, jeni@jenitennison.com writes:

I wish we could hear more from the other communities that use XPath --
how do people feel about XPath 2.0 in XPointers, or in XForms?

Jeni,

I think the XPointer (and XLink) community is fairly small. Perhaps not quite so small as Bob du Charme's recent articles on XML.com suggest - but not big. XPointer is, of course, used in a bare names form in SVG 1.0 so it is widely used within that community but I am fairly sure that most SVG users give XPointer very little thought.

I noticed that XPointer is not mentioned directly in 2.1.2 of XPath 2.0 Requirements:
"The scope of XPath 2.0 must be the set of common functionality between the expression language of XSLT 2.0 and the expression language of XML Query 1.0."

In XForms 1.0 the issue of implementing schema types (among others) in XForms for mobile browsers has led to an XForms Basic task force being set up.
See:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2002Apr/0021.html

Andrew Watt