   ODRL (was Re: [xml-dev] Patent non-proliferation and disarmament)

From: "Jonathan Robie" <jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com>

> This page will probably interest many on XML-Dev:
>
> http://xml.coverpages.org/patents.html

On the issue of digital rights management, people should consider ODRL,
Open Digital Rights Language.

    http://odrl.net/

The site says "ODRL is freely available and has no licensing requirements."

I have used some of the lawyers involved in ODRL, and they seemed
very thorough.  It has been seriously considered by some very
large industry bodies and organization.  It would be surprising
if any rights system requiring payment succeeds, so in the
medium to long term I would expect something like ODRL
to succeed.

(The other thing to remember, when considering rights, is that
some rights technologies are concerned with preventing
end-users from copying data they buy, while others are concerned
with expressing rights to help assembly, production and
distribution. Once you can calssify technology X as being
concerned, at heart, with one or the other, it is much simpler
to figure out what is going on.)

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe