   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT 2.0 / XPath 2.0 - Assumptions

| Anyway, I am glad to hear that Oracle isn't supporting the bloated XSLT
| 2.0/XPath 2.0 scenario. Maybe Jonathan or Michael will yet shed some light on
| who is.

Andrew,

I made the point that Oracle is not *pushing* to make
XSLT a replacement for SQL -- since we already have SQL --
not that we would not support XSLT 2.0 or XPath 2.0.
Wanted to clarify that. :-)

When XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 go RECOMMENDATION,
we have all intent of supporting them. Along the way,
we may fight some battles for some favorite features,
or point out issues based on implementation experience,
or try to convince others in the group to see things
from a similar perspective, but in the end remember
that we are just one voice in a group of many, so if
the majority decides to go in a particular direction,
in the end, you march that way, too, for the good of
the group as a whole.

We definitely did favor the idea of not having
two completely parallel syntaxes to accomplish
nearly the same types of queries, so we were in
support of unifying the XPath and XQuery missions
so users using the two syntaxes together would
not have to learn two. What will be the popular
subset of the common syntax that most users find
"just enough to be what they need" is still to
be determined.

Steve Muench - Developer, Product Mgr, Evangelist, Author
Simplify J2EE and EJB Development with BC4J
http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/j2ee_bc4j.html
Building Oracle XML Apps, www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp