   Re: [xml-dev] XPath 2.0 - how much of XQuery should it include?

Jeni Tennison wrote:
> It was simply that in the XQuery WD there's no mention of parameters
> in the query prolog. Perhaps they're waiting in the wings.

Fair enough.

> I guess that you could have parameterisation through separate XML
> documents accessed by document() (though without being able to supply
> the location of the document as a parameter, you're pretty limited).

I was thinking of something much more simple -- a simple parameter
marker (?) that allows you to pass in values a la SQL:

   FOR $book IN document("catalog.xml")//book
      WHERE $book/author = ?
   RETURN $book

Of course, if this isn't in the language, it's not possible. Then again,
it will be among the first non-standard extensions that people invent.

-- Ron