   RE: [xml-dev] XPath 2.0 - how much of XQuery should it include?

At 03:44 PM 5/10/2002 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 15:31, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> > Sarcasm is so easy. Finding solutions that will meet the needs of all our
> > users is so difficult.  I guess that makes those of us who design these
> > things very vulnerable.
>
>Pity for the designers aside, you may find that a lot of the anger and
>sarcasm comes from people who are in fact vulnerable to the consequences
>of the things being designed.  There's a full circle here, one which
>doesn't always (often?) connect.

We're trying to connect now. Well reasoned, detailed technical discussion
helps us understand the needs, and there's been a lot of that on this thread.

The sarcasm sometimes gets in the way of this discussion. It's a reason
that some people prefer not to hang out on XML-Dev. If you want to increase
communication between the designers of XML standards and XML-Dev, give us
lots of well reasoned, technical discussion, and be polite to us.

>Yes, the designer's job is hard, especially when designers and users
>have very different perspectives on the work.

And when there are so many different kinds of users, and many different
kinds of designers, each with their own perspective. That's almost always
the case in this kind of design work. The tools we are designing are
extremely general.

Jonathan