len

From: Uche Ogbuji [mailto:uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com]

> True as long as the issues of authoritative
> classification are resolved as well.  Then
> the notion of subscribing to a classification
> service becomes more attractive.  Credentials
> count.  When dealing with a business, one
> qualifies the contenders.  That is something
> the DAML+OIL language could be used for in a
> web service.

Yes, and this is one of the things that I think distinguishes our closed-world success story from scaling this concept to the Web.  In many cases we were able to solve "web of trust" type problems through policy.

However, I think that once you simplify the problem to classifications, you also simplify the authority problem, because the level of authoritativeness just becomes a meta-classification, and can be operated on using the same class of automata as those that operate on the rest of the ontology.  I think that if such ontologies can scale to the Web at all, that they will be able to handle classifications of authority.