   RE: [xml-dev] Patent non-proliferation and disarmament

Not at all.  In my short and kept as short as possible
contacts with Moonies, I observed they appeared quite
happy.   They joined to gain something, whatever that was.

I think the WSI-O is growing because the point of the
consortium goes directly to a problem that worries
those joining:  interoperability of the fast growing
and quickly kudzu like specifications.  Quality isn't a
one dimensional property.  Knowing what is "the good"
means understanding the process in which a "good thing"
is deemed "good".   The patent issue is a separate issue but
it indicates the degree to which clear communications
based on "perfect information, the path problem, are
devolving and the web is partially part of that problem.
In such an environment, localizable systems are apt to
be less open, not more.   Still, they need to be integrated.

Turn the problem on its head and ask why the SOAP RPC
kind of architecture can thrive.  Under what conditions
would one prefer that architecture (tossing aside the
politics of framework vendors)?  I assert it will be
where edge systems (legacy in many cases) need to be
brought online quickly, and cases where the deliberate
focus on a limited operation makes the negotiation
easier to manage than a large and drifting schema whose
boundaries are unknown (the committee that just won't quit
and just can't decide where the domain ends and begins).

Some systems don't need to scale to the web.

len