   Re: [xml-dev] Patent non-proliferation and disarmament

Dear Rick,

> "Look at the market" is hardly a rational response to a comment on
> open source or free technology!    And, in fact, standards committees
> (I have been on ISO and W3C WGs) very often have vital participation
> from small or independent players. In the XML world, Tim Bray and
> James Clark are particularly notable examples.

I agree with you. I do not say that independent or small companies
can't participate, but they can't really dedicate their activities
as technology providers because they simply can't do business with
it. They become service oriented, chich by the way is also a nice
position.

I sincerely would be pleased if our company (as well as MS) could
give few cents to W3C and to main actors of the standardization
each time we sell a Schema processor or an HTML browser. This money
could help W3C and key players to continue their work in a much
safer position.

> On the contrary, I have served on ISO WGs for several years, and
> currently am the editor of a part of ISO DSDL, (the part which is
> standardizing Schematron, a schema language that is completely
>  unencumbered.*) I like ISO, I especially like the discipline of
> one-vote per nation.

Sorry I didn't know about that. But I am happy to know it, as it is
sometimes very disappointing to see such stupid "competition between
standards".

> * AFAIK, except in the extended case where you might be using
> it to generate hypertext links between an external schema or
> specification and an instance, in which case XLinkit's patent
> might apply -- and in which case you might find XLinkIt is a
> far more satisfactory tool.

It is good to see that, with your ironic sentence, you agree that
the granting process is ridiculous ;)

Anyway, I do believe that RAND is a good tool against monopoly
which, moreover considerably helps innovation.

Cheers,
Claude.

** NEW ADDRESS **

Claude Seyrat