   RE: [xml-dev] organization (was RE: frustration)

Hi Jonathan,

I can give some examples since you like them :-) ...

This kind of organization would be|have been most usefull for RSS, for
the definition of a wiki markup language, for TransQuery, for
examplotron to name a few examples in which I have been involved.

On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 17:42, Jonathan Robie wrote:

> Do you need multiple compatible implementations of a standard, or do you
> just want to develop open source software?
>
> Do you need new standards, or do you just want to promote the use of, say,
> XML 1.0, XPath 1.0, or RELAX-NG?
>
> Is there an existing body that is a natural home to what you want to
> accomplish?

I don't think so in the above examples.

> Does it matter if no major vendor directly supports your standards? Do you
> need to interoperate with existing standards bodies in some way? Do you
> have an identifiable turf that is not already owned by an existing
> standards body? If these things are important goals, someone should figure
> out how SAX managed to become pervasive without coming from the bigger
> companies or standards bodies.

No, these are not major specs and I am naive enough to think that open
source developers and even big companies might use these specs if they
find them usefull.

> None of these are leading questions. They are just questions I would want
> to answer if I were starting down this road.

These are good questions and I think that to be usefull such an
organization should fill a need which is not yet fulfilled by other
organizations.

Eric
--
See you in Barcelona.