   RE: [xml-dev] XPath 2.0 - how much of XQuery should it include?

At 5:58 AM -0700 5/13/02, Jonathan Robie wrote:

>I don't think that merging XQuery and XSLT is useful, and we are not
>doing that, at least not at present. Both XQuery and XSLT needed a
>path expression language, and I do think that it makes sense for
>them to use the same path expression language.

Perhaps, but if so that path expression language should be based on
the intersection of the needs rather than the union. Jeni's pointed
out a lot of places where features just aren't needed for XSLT2, but
for me the really big one is types and the PSVI. I think everything
that requires schemas and types is unnecessary for XSLT, and that an
intersected XPath 2.0 would move all that material off into specs
that actually needed it.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |