   Re: [xml-dev] How to spell "No PSVI" in XSLT 2.0 ?

At 8:23 AM -0600 5/13/02, Uche Ogbuji wrote:

>I would also think such an attribute might put a peace to the
>XInclude-in-source debate
>
><xsl:transform ... xsl:version="2.0" xsl:psvi-aware="no"
>xsl:xinclude-aware="yes"

It would work for the specific case of XInclude processing, since it
would place this under the control of the user, where it belongs.
Furthermore it would have definable, testable behavior. It would,
however, require that all XSLT processors support XInclude out of the
box. That's probably not too  big an implementation hurdle to clear
(it's certainly lower than the schema hurdle) but it is worth
considering whether XInclude processing might be better defined as a
separate layer of processing rather than built-in to XSLT.

However, this would most definitely not fix the underlying problem,
which is that the source tree construction is too weakly specified by
XSLT, such that some vendors believe they are allowed to do
absolutely anything in the process of moving from a genuine XML
document to the initial source tree, including but not limited to
changing rectangles to circles and changing <vote>Republican</vote>
to <vote>Democrat</vote>.

We need something stronger than just fixing the one case of XInclude.
We need a defined an unambiguous source tree construction process
such that all conformant XSLT processors produce the same result when
transforming the same document with the same stylesheet.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |