   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT 2.0 / XPath 2.0 - Assumptions

At 03:01 PM 5/13/2002 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 14:37, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> > That's fine as long as all the programs that touch the data know how it
> was
> > originally intended to be used and treat it correctly. Instead of using a
> > data type, you can now look at your DTD or Schema to see if someone left a
> > comment to tell you whether a date is in MMDDYYYY format or DDMMYYYY
> > format, and then look at all the programs that touch that data to make
> sure
> > that they interpreted the bytes correctly.
>
>Or you can use tools like Regular Fragmentations to break the lexical
>parts down into markup-identifiable and unambiguous day/month/year
>elements.

Or you could use a regular expression to do the same thing, and associate
the type with a name that identifies the regular expression to be used. And
allow other constraints, such as ranges, to be associated with the name.

Ooops, I just reinvented XML Schema simple types.

Jonathan