   Re: [xml-dev] XPath 2.0 - how much of XQuery should it include?

Jonathan Robie wrote:
> >I think it's reasonable to expect politeness, but sarcasm, rants,
> >generalities, and other human foibles are part of the mix in every
> >technical discussion I've ever been in. Sorting through the chaff to get
> >to the wheat is part of the job description.
>
> True. And I've been trying to do that.

Which I appreciate.

> Sometimes I find that once I have sorted through the sarcasm, rants,
> generalities, and grandstanding, all that is left is whitespace. That's
> when I ask for people to be more specific, give concrete examples, etc.

Fair enough, except that sometimes things are so bad that all you can do
is rant. A good example of this was the writing in the XML Schemas spec.
People repeatedly asked for specific examples of what needed rewriting
and the only reasonable answer was, "Every single sentence," which is
indistinguishable from a rant.

(I make no representations that that applies in the current discussion.
Just that sometimes you have to listen to the fact that people are very
upset, too.)

-- Ron