   RE: [xml-dev] XSLT 2.0 and XSL(-FO) 2.0

Ronald Bourret wrote:
> Jeni Tennison wrote:
>
> > XSLT stylesheets control both the core XSLT processing and the default
> > behaviour of an XSLT application (through the xsl:output element), and
> > I think it should continue to do so (though making the distinction
> > clearer would be a good thing, in my opinion).
>
> In my ignorance of XSLT, I didn't realize this was the case. It strikes
> me as conflating two completely different things

On the contrary, it's a *de-coupling* of two completely different things.
XSLT processors are required to do the "core XSLT processing", but are not
required to honor xsl:output and other such serialization directives,
because XSLT processors don't always have control over serialization. JAXP
is an example of where you can choose to honor or override the xsl:output
directive in a stylesheet. This is all within conformance to the XSLT
Recommendation.

In the end, this is why I actually agree with what you said earlier, Ron,
that dictating a pipeline from within XSLT is too XSLT-centric. Like
xsl:output, it can be a good hint in restricted frameworks, but it won't
scale (and, in fact, goes against the whole principle of pipelines to begin
with).

Evan