   Re: [xml-dev] Objections to / uses of PSVI?

5/15/2002 6:56:56 AM, Ronald Bourret <rpbourret@rpbourret.com> wrote:

>But what does this problem have to do with the PSVI? The problem existed
>long before the PSVI. Or are you saying that now that the PSVI is being
>proposed as the way forward, this should either be fixed or the PSVI
>avoided?

As I understand it, "PSVIs" can be generated from DTDs or W3C Schemas.
The beastie existed in XML 1.0, but the schema people gave it a name,
and introduced new thingies that magically pop into existence, such as
the type information.  The DOM's experience in dealing with the
unimagineable complexity introduced by generated values that magically
pop into existence should be a warning to others...

Or as the epigraph on the first chapter of THE MYTHICAL MAN MONTH
puts it: "Een schip op het strand is een baken in zee. [A ship on
the beach is a lighthouse to the sea.] Dutch Proverb."

[Hmm, I think it's time to re-read that book yet again ... the very
chapter titles make it sound like Brooks is talking about XML
rather than System 360: "The Tar Pit" ... "The Second System
Effect" ... "Why Did the Tower of Babel Fall" .... "Ten Pounds in a
Five-Pound Sack" ... "Plan to Throw One Away" ... "Hatching a
Catastrophe."]

Anyway, my feeling is that default attributes and the DOM sailed
out far enough into the PSVI to flee back to port and spread the
word "there be dragons!" Brave souls who need the PSVI and don't mind
sailing in dragon-infested waters are welcome to explore the region
more fully.  The rest of us will be happy to learn from the
tales told by the survivors, but don't wish to be forced to come
along on the voyages of discovery :~)