   Re: [xml-dev] Objections to / uses of PSVI?

Jeni Tennison wrote

> Hi Tom,
>
> > I can see #2, but is that appinfo data going to be in the PSVI? If
> > not, there's not any way to get access to it, is there? I thought
> > the PSVI was going to hold type info and validation status.
>
> It depends on what you mean by PSVI (oh dear...).
>
> Taking a small example, if you have an element 'foo', then one of the
> PSVI properties for the element information item for that element is
> its element declaration. This property holds (in XML Schema speak) an
> "item isomorphic to" the element declaration that's been used to
> assess the validity of the foo element.
>
> The element declaration information item has a number of properties
> (e.g. name, value constraint, abstract), one of which is annotation.

It's not clear to me that appinfo is considered part of the element
declaration - in your example it contained a lookup table that the schema
processor wouldn't know anything about.  I've always assumed that appinfo
was outside of the schema-known information about the element.  I can
understand an argument that it should be included, but I haven't found
anything so far that actually says so.

Do you think that's one of these things that's understood and agreend upon
but not (yet) spelled out?

Cheers,

Tom P