   Re: [xml-dev] a standards story

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> What strikes me as most interesting about this is that people outside
> the working group effectively had veto power over the spec. If it had
> been left to merely the group producing the spec to decide when it was
> done, this would not have happened. I can think of at least two major
> W3C specs that would possibly have been vetoed if people outside the
> working group were allowed to vote,

er... *Every* w3c recommendation has to go through a vote of the full
membership, a majority of whom aren't on any WG, and the "AC members"
(read voters) are almost never on the WG.  The reason none have been
voted down (IIRC) is the endless last-call/CR/PR process.. they tend to
die well before the final vote if they're gonna die.

This war story actually sounds to me like a healthy process at work. -Tim