   Re: [xml-dev] a standards story

Ann Navarro wrote:
> Lauren Wood wrote:
> >  And it has been known for individual
> >member companies to vote against particular recommendations, though I
> >don't know of any that have been entirely rejected. Member companies could
> >equally demand that the entire specification be completely reworked.
> It happened with HTML 3, though I believe the process was somewhat
> different at the time.

Right, although I don't remember there being anything
like a "vote" against Dave Raggett's spec.  Mosaic
Communications/Netscape and Microsoft simply ignored
his work.

So the W3C went back to the earlier practice of trying
to reverse-engineer what the major browser vendors were
already doing for the HTML 3.2 spec.

--Joe English