   Re: [xml-dev] Objections to / uses of PSVI?

Actually, I think we're largely in agreement, although it seems I need
to learn to write more clearly :)

Yes, I want data types, but I want those data types to match the real
world, not the computer world. (I completely agree with Amy's points in
this regard.) My point was that the only thing you gain by data types
like those found in XML Schemas is an ability to automatically generate
classes, database schemas, etc. more easily, and that's not worth the
loss in interoperability. I think Eric Bohlman summed it up nicely when
he said:

"AFAICT, the only loss from this view is that you can't write an
application
that reads a schema and automatically generates the most efficient
possible programming-language class definitions for the data described
by that schema.  But as has been alluded to before, you can't do that
anyway unless the primitive types available in the schema language
correspond exactly to
those in the programming language.  And isn't this use of a schema just
another case of wanting the schema language to do everything including
washing the dishes?  Wouldn't it make more sense to have another
language that would allow you to write specifications that a class
generator could use in conjunction with a schema, rather than requiring
all schema processors to do things that are only useful for class
generators?"

This corresponds quite nicely with your statement:

"Bottom line: if XML were given a smart, generic constraint mechanism,
rather than one working group's guess at a useful type libraries, then
not
only would your problem of data binding be solved as well, but you would
also gain much more "type safety" and interoperability."

-- Ron