   Re: [xml-dev] How to spell "No PSVI" in XSLT 2.0 ?

Francis Norton <francis@redrice.com> wrote:

| Arjun Ray wrote:

| Well, I'm using SVG that was exported by a graphics package. From
| memory, I would guess that the ratio of SVG elements to XSLT elements in
| this set of documents is somewhere between 50 to 1 and 100 to 1.
| Creating all those literal result content elements and attributes using
| the XSLT element and attibute primitives instead is not really plausible
| here.

Frankly, I don't even understand the problem.  Are you saying that the
graphics package generates the XSLT for you?  (In that case, I sympathise
but I don't see how it's relevant - you're simply stuck with the tools you
have.)  Are you cutting-and-pasting swads of graphics package output into
an XSLT stylesheet?  (Again I sympathise, and again you likely need better
tools - or a different approach to the problem.)  Are you creating oodles
of SVG elements by hand in your XSLT stylesheet?  (Which would be the
*point* of raising the issue of "50:1" or "100:1", but then I don't see
how the graphics package is relevant.)

It could be that you need to run a XSLT stylesheet on the SVG output of
the graphics package, interpolating data pulled from your XML-ized "simple
table + summary", but again, I don't understand the problem.  Sorry.

As for creating any elements by hand, one effect of the choice of tag
syntax for XSLT is indeed that doing this has been made as onerous as
possible.  (Bill de h. might say you "couldn't be arsed", and I might say
you're following the Path of Least Resistance:-))

|> Using tag syntax for XSLT itself was one of the most brain-damaged "design
|> decisions" I've ever seen.
|>
| A bold assertion. Perhaps you'd care to support it? My feeling is that I
| really like the fact that XSLT is XML. I like being able to generate
| transforms, I like using my XML editor for XSLT, and I like being able
| to XPath into the current transform itself (using the document()
| function - handy for little look-ups).

Quite apart from what you like (or may happen to dislike), consider this:
What is XSLT without XPath but Hamlet without the Prince of Denmark?  If
you like tags so much, why haven't you asked for XPath in tag syntax too?