   RE: RE: [xml-dev] Painful USA Today article (was RE: [xml-dev] AN N: RES

From: Simon St.Laurent [mailto:simonstl@simonstl.com]

>To the extent that customers buy technology by wandering through a
>checkbox-list of features, it doesn't work.

They issue an RFP describing the features of system they
want to purchase.  We respond to that with capabilities
we provide.  That works.

>Telling customers "no, that's bad for you" is something that
>needs to happen more often.

Could be.  Try to do that in an RFP reponse or a BAFO.  Be
very careful of telling a customer that their business is
bad for them.   We do a good job of declining requirements
we can't meet or know are not effectively met with our system
as described in their requirements.  We do a good job of offering
alternatives.   We pick technologies that make that doable
and implement them for specific requirements generalized
in the application itself.   We don't sell XML; we implement
XML applications.  As far as XML tools go, I am your customer.

>I wish it was that simple.  An application is good for chopping down
>technologies to fit that application, but the prospect of multiple
>applications leads to feature creep - all those use cases must be
>answered.

Yes.

>XML 1.0 did a wonderful job of saying "these are our goals" rather than
>"these are our use cases", and that actually worked.  Now that the use
>cases are back on the scene with claims of "our customers want to do
>XYZ", the features are piling on.

Yes.

>I'm not content with selling the world an enormous mash of features and
>possible combinations of features and leaving it to developers of
>particular applications to sort out which parts are valuable and which
>are trash.

They have to sort out which features will solve a problem for them
and which are not of use to a particular application.  You can't do
that for them.  I am your customer.

len