   RE: RE: [xml-dev] Painful USA Today article (was RE: [xml-dev] AN N: RES

On 22 May 2002 at 11:55, Betty Harvey wrote:
> 	I think you hit the nail on the head!  We all know there has been
> tremendously successful XML projects.  However, these don't get publicized
> nearly as much as they should.  We should look at these projects and
> determine what has made them successful.  I think it would be a worthwhile
> exercise to categorize where XML has made a difference in the way way
> organizations to business.
>
> 	I think XML publishing is the most obvious success story.
> Organizations can now create content and slice and dice the content
> and publish it in any format desired.  XSLT has been a great success
> story and I believe XSL-FO is proving to be a great technology.  I
> am currently creating a stylesheet for legislation and I am really
> happy so far with the results.  The content management systems have
> a lot of problems but companies are really doing some interesting
> stuff even without CMS.
>
> 	Another area where XML is a success is transporting transactions
> between disparate information systems that don't talk to each.  XML is
> being used as the translation mechanism between these systems.  Industries
> have come together to decide on their system messages.  Middleware is
> being developed and all of a sudden you have systems talking to each
> other.  The library community is currently doing this with library
> systems.

I agree with Betty - I've been seeing more and more integration systems as
well as publishing systems based on XML, <plug> which is why we some
new areas to the XML 2002 Conference - EAI/B2Bi to cover  integration stuff,
and Storing XML to cover CMS, native vs relational databases etc (as well as
some other new areas for vertical industries). If you're doing interesting stuff
in these areas, please submit a proposal to talk at XML 2002. More info at
www.xmlconference.org </plug>

cheers,

Lauren