   RE: RE: [xml-dev] Painful USA Today article (was RE: [xml-dev] ANN: REST

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Dare Obasanjo wrote:

> Even more fruitful would be coming up with a number of business cases
> and/or classes of XML usage patterns to use in judging how effective
> the current crop of technologies are at meeting the needs of users and
> how future specifications should and will fare.

Dare:

	I think you hit the nail on the head!  We all know there has been
tremendously successful XML projects.  However, these don't get publicized
nearly as much as they should.  We should look at these projects and
determine what has made them successful.  I think it would be a worthwhile
exercise to categorize where XML has made a difference in the way way
organizations to business.

	I think XML publishing is the most obvious success story.
Organizations can now create content and slice and dice the content
and publish it in any format desired.  XSLT has been a great success
story and I believe XSL-FO is proving to be a great technology.  I
am currently creating a stylesheet for legislation and I am really
happy so far with the results.  The content management systems have
a lot of problems but companies are really doing some interesting
stuff even without CMS.

	Another area where XML is a success is transporting transactions
between disparate information systems that don't talk to each.  XML is
being used as the translation mechanism between these systems.  Industries
have come together to decide on their system messages.  Middleware is
being developed and all of a sudden you have systems talking to each
other.  The library community is currently doing this with library
systems.

	The reality is that there are successes and most of these
successes are accomplished without a lot of complexity.  I don't know how
you get the word out because decision makers don't read XML-DEV or XML
Journal. They read Information Week, Wall Street Journal, GAO Reports,
etc.  It is in these arena's that word has to be given.  Most of the
technology articles written about XML are confusing.  Until we take
a success story to the marketplace there will be a perception of
complexity, confusion and NRFPT (not ready for prime time) and finally
TMA (too many acronyms).

Betty

Betty Harvey                         | Phone: 410-787-9200 FAX: 9830
Electronic Commerce Connection, Inc. |
harvey@eccnet.com                    | Washington,DC SGML/XML Users Grp