   RE: [xml-dev] Painful USA Today article (was RE: [xml-dev] ANN: RESTTuto

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon St.Laurent [mailto:simonstl@simonstl.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 9:47 AM

> Now that the use cases are back on the scene with claims
> of "our customers want to do XYZ", the features are piling on.

This was very insightful for me! Being in the applications development end
of things (rather than standards development or tools), I didn't have much
of a view about how those things work.

Now I can see that feature bloat is the same with standards as it is with
corporate systems. Customers don't REALLY know everything about what's good
for them. (Hey! There is no kind way to say it!) That's why things have to
be hammered out in interminable meetings.

But one thing I DO know from my years as a project manager ... if you give
them everything they ask for, the project WILL fail. I suspect the same is
true of standards.