   RE: [xml-dev] Painful USA Today article (was RE: [xml-dev] ANN: RESTTuto

Correct.  Err... we aren't doing DoD work
here.  I want to clarify that.  We build
systems that dispatch ambulances, police,
and fire to your homes.

The problem is that the very same company
that issued the opinions that article quoted put
XML as a checkbox in RFPs boilerplated by their
so called "world class consultants" but haven't
learned that there is no such thing as XTML and
that specifying XML without the application spec's
nothing of value.

Value comes from specing the application, not XML.

Because we do business honestly, we have to
tell them their consultants are leading them into
a costly bog based on buzz, not current practice.
If we lose the bid, heads roll.

Now, Ron, will it be your head?  No.  Will it
be your money.  Maybe. It can get worse.

Do you want your emergency location software to rely on

XML

or

NENA specification for XML format for ANI/ALI packets.

Choose wisely because your home, your life, and
the lives of your families are the bet you are
making.  Lose that bet and it won't be Microsoft's fault.
It will be yours.  Still want to pay taxes so your
mayor et al can pay the consultants to put XML in as a
checkbox?

len

From: Joshua Allen [mailto:joshuaa@microsoft.com]

I think Len is making the same point as you.  It sounds like he is
saying, as a matter of principle, he would prefer to use XML where it
actually provides value.