   Re: [xml-dev] DTDs, W3C Schemas, RELAX NG, Schematron?

Betty Harvey scripsit:

> I personally believe that DTDs still have a future. 4 years ago they
> started chiselling the gravestone for DTD's and yet 4 years later new DTDs
> are still being developed and there is still controversy surrounding the
> various schema languages.  Most commercial tools still support DTDs.

Insofar as DTDs are used to describe content models and attribute information,
I agree.  It is very slick to take a stand-alone DTD, convert it to RNG
with DTDinst (which carefully preserves readability), and then use Jing
to validate against incoming documents.

DTDs for entities and other such things are probably dying.

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com