   Turn Off Automatic Script Activation In Outlook (WAS RE: [xml-dev] Painf

  • To: 'Arjun Ray' <aray@nyct.net>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Turn Off Automatic Script Activation In Outlook (WAS RE: [xml-dev] Painful USA Today article (was RE: [xml-dev] ANN: R ESTTutorial))
  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 14:31:08 -0500

It should be OFF by default.  Think about how
Installation scripts default to DON'T ACCEPT
so the user has to take an action that signifies
taking the risk.   That is one of those
system designer decisions where the designer is
wise in the ways of the culture and does the right
thing in the best interest of the customer and
the community at large.  If all we have to do
to slow this down is get MS to set it off by
default, that seems like a low cost high yield
proposition.

Dang if it is that easy (is it?), I would think
someone would have reacted to Gate's security
memo to his guys with a simple raised hand saying, "Heck,
we could just set the default to Off in Outlook?"
It won't solve the whole problem but some progress
is progress.

len