   Re: [xml-dev] CHAT: Bagels and lox

 >> Aha. So "lox" is probably derived from Norwegian "laks," meaning
 >> salmon, then. We would call this "røykelaks," literally smoked salmon,
 >> but still...

[James Tauber]
 >More likely both are derived from some older Germanic parent language.

I believe lax is the Norse word for salmon. It occurs in Irish place names
a lot e.g. Lax Weir in County Clare (http://www.ncte.ie/viking/phorts.htm).

It occurs more often morphed to "Leix", i.e. Leixlip (Salmon Leap), Abbeyleix.

We Irish like our Salmon. Bagels are harder to come by in these parts.

[Normal service resumes]

Sean