   Re: [xml-dev] XQuery and DTD/Schema?

Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> If you import XML data into a database with DTDs, there will be limited use
> of datatyping (just whatever DTDs provide).  The DTD datatypes all have
> WXS equivalents (with the possible exception of NOTATIONs, you figure out
> why) and so an XQuery system (using WXS components) will be able to access
> that DTD datatyping transparently.
>

> I think it is important to see that WXS has three aspects:
>   1) the XML syntax
>   2) the schema components, which includes the type lattice idea
>     (and which it is now clearer should also include TAI ideas)
>   3) schema assessment of an infoset to make a PSVI
>     (rather like a super-DOM)
>
> When using WXS with XQuery, I gather that there is no
> need for the XML syntax to be involved, and no need to
> validate to make a PSVI.

Just as an XQuery processor which is intended for DTD-based documents could well function with - in the terms of the XML Schema
Recommendation - a "minimally conformant" "network-enabled" "schema aware processor" which supported DTD syntax instead of XML
syntax, it could support any other schema definition encoding which conformed to the Schema Recommendation's "minimally
conformant" requirements. Which includes extracting meta-data from a database.

Unless the XQuery WG itself decides to stipulate XML syntax for all persistent schema definitions.