   Re: [xml-dev] ANN: Building Web Services the REST Way

At 01:25 AM 4/07/2002, Rich Salz wrote:

>>REST describes what makes the Web work well.
>Ah, the crux of my problem with the REST camp.  Post hoc propter hoc.

A couple of points to note :

Firstly REST did not come *after* the fact as you state. See the
introduction to Fielding's thesis where it says in part - "Over the past six
years, the REST architectural style has been used to guide the design and
development of the architecture for the modern Web, as presented in Chapter
6. This work was done in conjunction with my authoring of the Internet
standards for the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) and Uniform Resource
Identifiers (URI)."

Secondly the original statement does not say that the Web is working well
*because* of REST, it says it *describes* what makes the web work well and
as Fielding clearly states, it has actively been applied to the *ongoing*
development of the Web.

Robert